EMS Magic can be launched from the Start Menu in Windows only if the automated installer is
used. If you installed EMS Magic manually, follow the operating instructions in the
Command Line section.
There will be either five or eight items listed in the EMS Magic program group in the Start Menu.
The shortcuts supporting VDMSound* will only be created if VDMSound is already installed when EMS Magic is
- EMS Magic User's Manual
- Launches your default browser to view the HTML version of the User's Manual.
- Command Prompt with EMS
- Starts a command prompt with maximum EMS memory, either via Windows' EMM or EMS Magic if
Windows is unable to provide EMS. If EMS Magic is loaded it will use all available XMS for EMS.
- Command Prompt with EMS and VDMSound
- Same as "Command Prompt with EMS", except VDMSound is also loaded.
- Command Prompt with XMS
- Starts a command prompt with maximum XMS memory, and no EMS memory. If using
Windows NTx, EMS Magic will be loaded to provide XMS 3.0 support.
- Command Prompt with XMS and VDMSound
- Same as "Command Prompt with XMS", except VDMSound is also loaded.
- Command Prompt with XMS & EMS
- Starts a full-screen command prompt with maximum XMS memory, and attempts to provide maximum
EMS via Windows' EMM. If this is successful, EMS Magic will provide XMS 3.0 support only. If Windows
is unable to provide EMS, EMS Magic will provide XMS 3.0 and EMS 4.0 support and use approximately half
of the available XMS for EMS.
- Command Prompt with XMS & EMS and VDMSound
- Same as "Command Prompt with XMS & EMS", except VDMSound is also loaded.
- Uninstall EMS Magic
- Uninstalls EMS Magic from your system. See the
Uninstallation section for more details.
You can type EXIT in any command prompt to close the
prompt and return to Windows. You can also switch from full-screen to windowed mode by pressing
ALT+ENTER. Note, however, that some DOS programs
(most notably games) may not run properly when started from a windowed command prompt.
is a Sound Blaster emulator for DOS programs running under Windows NTx, which greatly increases
compatibility when running DOS programs with sound card support. VDMSound is an entirely separate
program which is not part of EMS Magic, and must be installed separately.